The AquaCare Ammonia Test Kit is exclusive to Maidenhead Aquatics. This Ammonia indicator test is a must-have for freshwater fishkeepers and includes 40 tests that should be carried out weekly or any time you are concerned about the health of your fish. Ammonia is excreted by the fish as a waste product. It is extremely toxic to the fish and is broken down into less toxic nitrite by the beneficial bacteria in the filter of your aquarium. Ammonia is most toxic to fish when the pH is alkaline and the temperature is high, so it is most dangerous in cichlid or marine aquaria. Any ammonia present in the aquarium water will cause major health problems for the fish. Toxic ammonia can build up in aquaria where there are not sufficient beneficial filter bacteria to deal with the total waste from all the fish in the aquarium. This situation can commonly arise in new aquaria, when new fish are added, when the filter bacteria have been disrupted (e.g during cleaning), or during accidental mis-dosing of aquarium medications.
The AquaCare Ammonia test has been specifically designed for the potential use of first-time fishkeepers meaning that the tests are easy to carry out and understand. Take a 5 ml sample of aquarium water into the test tube. Add 5 drops of the reagent Ammonia 1 and 5 drops of Ammonia 2 and 5 drops of Ammonia 3. Replace the test tube cap and mix. Wait 10 minutes, and then compare the colour of the sample to the colour scale provided. Zero ammonia is represented by a yellow colour. Any hint of green in the sample indicates the presence of ammonia.
There is no occasion where any ammonia is tolerable in an aquarium. A level of zero mg/l(ppm) must be maintained at all times. Ensure the test tube is clean. If a level of 0.2 mg/l (ppm) is recorded then add a filter booster such as AquaCare Bioboost. If a level above this is recorded then a substantial water change is essential, please speak to your most local store for advice. If you do record an ammonia level in your aquarium, then it is important to check other vital water quality parameters, especially pH and Nitrite. For an immediate solution to ammonia, view our Ocean Free products.
Should you have any further concerns regarding your water quality please visit your most local store with a water sample and our friendly staff members will do their best to help and advise you on further steps.
No one has left a review yet.
Delivery costs for your order will be calculated during the checkout process based on your delivery address and the contents of your basket. You will only pay one delivery charge for your order. Express delivery is FREE for online orders OVER £39 unless any of the points below become a factor.
- Some large items like aquariums, ponds and pond liners will have an additional charge of £45.00 to help offset the cost of a pallet delivery.
- Orders containing a physical gift card will have an additional charge of £2.45 to cover the cost of materials and delivery (digital gift cards are a free alternative).
- Orders to highlands, islands and Northern Ireland may incur an additional delivery charge displayed at checkout this is based on the postal code provided. DPD provides a list of postal codes which have additional surcharges. Some of these post codes may also take 2 working days to arrive, even on express. Pallet deliveries cannot be sent to these post codes.
We only ship to the UK and cannot ship internationally.
We aim to dispatch items that are currently in stock on the same working day if they are ordered before 2.45 pm (excluding Bank Holidays). Orders after 3pm will be dispatched the following working day, unless it fits any of the below criteria:
- Orders containing live plants will take up to 2 weeks to arrive. We take a week's worth of customer orders and then inform the plant farms of the specific quantities we need to fulfil that week's order to avoid wastage.
- Pallet orders containing large items like big aquariums will take additional time to arrive as they are sent by a third party. These orders will NOT be dispatched until we have been in touch to arrange a delivery date, this is to ensure someone is available at your address to sign for the delivery. Deliveries will generally be delivered ‘curb side’ within the terms of the agreement we have with our couriers so you will need to make arrangements to transfer larger items into your home yourself. Unfortunately, our drivers are not insured to transfer the aquarium into your home.
- Physical gift cards and items from the gift shop (such as clothes, towels etc) are sent with 1st Class Royal Mail. Delivery usually takes 1-2 working days, though in rare cases and orders placed closer to public holidays (Christmas, Father’s day, Mother’s day etc.) may be longer.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase online from our website, you can return the product and get a full refund or exchange the product for another one, for up to 21 days from the date you purchased it.
We strongly suggest signing up for an account with fishkeeper.co.uk as this will allow for some additional returns options like return to your local store.
If you checkout as a guest you will need to return the product to Maidenhead Aquatics, PO Box 619, Egham, Surrey, TW20 2BS, please package the order (along with a packing slip or a note including your name, address and order number).
Large pallet items like aquariums are deemed delivered successfully with no damage once the the driver has left the property. If a report of damage is submitted after the driver has left we may be unable to assist with replacements. We recommend refusing a damaged delivery, this is the fastest resolution.
Our full terms and conditions can be found here. When you place an order with us online you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.