The AquaCare Nitrate Test Kit is exclusive to Maidenhead Aquatics. This nitrate indicator test is a must-have for freshwater fishkeepers and includes 30 tests that should be carried out weekly or any time you are concerned about the health of your fish. Nitrate should be tested for weekly, although it’s less toxic than ammonia and nitrite to an established aquarium, excessively high levels can be damaging and potentially lethal to delicate species. A further side effect of high levels of nitrate in an aquarium is the potential growth of excessive algae. Aquaria with high levels of nitrate frequently have problems with algae and blanket weed and whilst this isn’t a huge issue, as it’s a natural way to reduce nitrate, algae and blanket weed are very unsightly. If an aquarium has insufficient live plants to help absorb nitrate, then algae will begin to dominate.
The AquaCare Nitrate test has been specifically designed for the potential use of first-time fishkeepers meaning that the tests are easy to carry out and understand. To carry out the test, take a small 5ml sample of water from your aquarium. Shake the nitrate-1 solution well, and add 6 drops. Repeat this process with the nitrate-2 solution. Once finished wait 10 minutes and match the water colour to the colour chart on the reverse of the box to find out your aquariums nitrate level.
Should you see an unusually high reading of Nitrate in your water, we would advise that you contact your local store in the first instance for help and advice. Maintenance of a zero level of nitrate in an aquarium is extremely difficult. Most domestic water supplies have a low level of nitrate. The key to the maintenance of low nitrates is regular water changes to dilute the buildup of nitrate. Also, increasing the higher plant life in the aquarium should use up nitrate. This will lower the amount of nitrate available to algae. As nitrate production is a by-product of bacterial filtration, the use of a Hydra unit can bypass its accumulation.
Should you have any further concerns regarding your water quality please visit your most local store with a water sample and our friendly staff members will do their best to help and advise you on further steps.
No one has left a review yet.
Delivery costs for your order will be calculated during the checkout process based on your delivery address and the contents of your basket. You will only pay one delivery charge for your order. Express delivery is FREE for online orders OVER £39 unless any of the points below become a factor.
- Some large items like aquariums, ponds and pond liners will have an additional charge of £45.00 to help offset the cost of a pallet delivery.
- Orders containing a physical gift card will have an additional charge of £2.45 to cover the cost of materials and delivery (digital gift cards are a free alternative).
- Orders to highlands, islands and Northern Ireland may incur an additional delivery charge displayed at checkout this is based on the postal code provided. DPD provides a list of postal codes which have additional surcharges. Some of these post codes may also take 2 working days to arrive, even on express. Pallet deliveries cannot be sent to these post codes.
We only ship to the UK and cannot ship internationally.
We aim to dispatch items that are currently in stock on the same working day if they are ordered before 2.45 pm (excluding Bank Holidays). Orders after 3pm will be dispatched the following working day, unless it fits any of the below criteria:
- Orders containing live plants will take up to 2 weeks to arrive. We take a week's worth of customer orders and then inform the plant farms of the specific quantities we need to fulfil that week's order to avoid wastage.
- Pallet orders containing large items like big aquariums will take additional time to arrive as they are sent by a third party. These orders will NOT be dispatched until we have been in touch to arrange a delivery date, this is to ensure someone is available at your address to sign for the delivery. Deliveries will generally be delivered ‘curb side’ within the terms of the agreement we have with our couriers so you will need to make arrangements to transfer larger items into your home yourself. Unfortunately, our drivers are not insured to transfer the aquarium into your home.
- Physical gift cards and items from the gift shop (such as clothes, towels etc) are sent with 1st Class Royal Mail. Delivery usually takes 1-2 working days, though in rare cases and orders placed closer to public holidays (Christmas, Father’s day, Mother’s day etc.) may be longer.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase online from our website, you can return the product and get a full refund or exchange the product for another one, for up to 21 days from the date you purchased it.
We strongly suggest signing up for an account with fishkeeper.co.uk as this will allow for some additional returns options like return to your local store.
If you checkout as a guest you will need to return the product to Maidenhead Aquatics, PO Box 619, Egham, Surrey, TW20 2BS, please package the order (along with a packing slip or a note including your name, address and order number).
Large pallet items like aquariums are deemed delivered successfully with no damage once the the driver has left the property. If a report of damage is submitted after the driver has left we may be unable to assist with replacements. We recommend refusing a damaged delivery, this is the fastest resolution.
Our full terms and conditions can be found here. When you place an order with us online you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.