The AquaCare Phosphate Test Kit is exclusive to Maidenhead Aquatics. This phosphate indicator test is a must-have for freshwater fishkeepers and includes 40 tests that should be carried out weekly or any time you are concerned about the health of your fish. Phosphate is a major nutrient found principally in fish food to help with growth, good bone formation and many other biological processes. Invariably, phosphate is also produced as a waste product by fish and breakdown of other matter. Phosphate is less toxic to established aquarium fish but exposure to excessively high levels can be damaging and lethal to delicate species. Phosphate is also a major nutrient for plants and algae. Excessive phosphate in the water is a major contributor to the excessive growth of unwanted algae. Monitoring and maintaining a low concentration of phosphate will result in a healthier aquatic environment and fewer nuisance algae.
The AquaCare Phosphate test has been specifically designed for the potential use of first-time fishkeepers meaning that the tests are easy to carry out and understand. Ensure the test tube is clean. Take a 5 ml sample of aquarium water into the test tube, preferably using the syringe provided. Add 5 drops of the phosphate reagent, place the cap on the tube and mix gently for a few seconds. Wait 5 minutes for the test to develop, remove the cap and look down through the test tube to determine the colour. Compare this colour to the colour chart provided to determine the phosphate concentration.
Phosphate concentration can normally be kept in check by regular partial water changes. Some phosphate may also be introduced by tap water, so check the amount of phosphate present in the tap supply. For further phosphate removal, phosphate removers can be used. The ideal phosphate concentration should be as close to zero as possible. While some phosphate is desirable to aid with the healthy growth of higher plants, only trace amounts between 0 and 0.25 mg/L PO4-P are required.
Should you have any further concerns regarding your water quality please visit your most local store with a water sample and our friendly staff members will do their best to help and advise you on further steps.
No one has left a review yet.
Delivery costs for your order will be calculated during the checkout process based on your delivery address and the contents of your basket. You will only pay one delivery charge for your order. Express delivery is FREE for online orders OVER £39 unless any of the points below become a factor.
- Some large items like aquariums, ponds and pond liners will have an additional charge of £45.00 to help offset the cost of a pallet delivery.
- Orders containing a physical gift card will have an additional charge of £2.45 to cover the cost of materials and delivery (digital gift cards are a free alternative).
- Orders to highlands, islands and Northern Ireland may incur an additional delivery charge displayed at checkout this is based on the postal code provided. DPD provides a list of postal codes which have additional surcharges. Some of these post codes may also take 2 working days to arrive, even on express. Pallet deliveries cannot be sent to these post codes.
We only ship to the UK and cannot ship internationally.
We aim to dispatch items that are currently in stock on the same working day if they are ordered before 2.45 pm (excluding Bank Holidays). Orders after 3pm will be dispatched the following working day, unless it fits any of the below criteria:
- Orders containing live plants will take up to 2 weeks to arrive. We take a week's worth of customer orders and then inform the plant farms of the specific quantities we need to fulfil that week's order to avoid wastage.
- Pallet orders containing large items like big aquariums will take additional time to arrive as they are sent by a third party. These orders will NOT be dispatched until we have been in touch to arrange a delivery date, this is to ensure someone is available at your address to sign for the delivery. Deliveries will generally be delivered ‘curb side’ within the terms of the agreement we have with our couriers so you will need to make arrangements to transfer larger items into your home yourself. Unfortunately, our drivers are not insured to transfer the aquarium into your home.
- Physical gift cards and items from the gift shop (such as clothes, towels etc) are sent with 1st Class Royal Mail. Delivery usually takes 1-2 working days, though in rare cases and orders placed closer to public holidays (Christmas, Father’s day, Mother’s day etc.) may be longer.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase online from our website, you can return the product and get a full refund or exchange the product for another one, for up to 21 days from the date you purchased it.
We strongly suggest signing up for an account with fishkeeper.co.uk as this will allow for some additional returns options like return to your local store.
If you checkout as a guest you will need to return the product to Maidenhead Aquatics, PO Box 619, Egham, Surrey, TW20 2BS, please package the order (along with a packing slip or a note including your name, address and order number).
Large pallet items like aquariums are deemed delivered successfully with no damage once the the driver has left the property. If a report of damage is submitted after the driver has left we may be unable to assist with replacements. We recommend refusing a damaged delivery, this is the fastest resolution.
Our full terms and conditions can be found here. When you place an order with us online you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.