This 100% natural barley straw bale from AquaPond Care is for the treatment of string algae, green water and blanket weed in ponds. The straw is a natural safe algae treatment for wildlife and pets, and is completely fish & plant friendly.
The bales are supplied in a net bag that should be left on during treatment this will prevent the bale drifting apart and potentially clogging the filtration system, it also allows easy retrieval and removal once the 3 month period is over. Incredibly easy to use, simply throw a bale in the pond, the straw naturally hinders the development of algae and also destabilises blanket weed causing it to break down to be more easily removed by the filter.
Barley straw works by producing a variety of chemicals that prevent the growth of algae. These chemicals do not kill algae, instead they prevent it from growing, this is why barley staw is often called 'algae control' and not 'algae treatment' or an 'algaecide'. You shouldn't buy barley straw if your pond already has a sever algae problem, instead you should buy it as a preventative at the start of the spring/summer months or following an algae removal treatment to prevent re-occurence. If your pond already has an algae problem you should remove some manually and then use an algaecide like AquaPond Care Green Water or Blanket Weed Treatment to treat it.
One bale treats 9,000 litres for 3 months
Directions for use
- Calculate the ponds volume in litres using the following: [Length x width x average depth (in metres)] x 1000
- Remove the clear outer bag and label, DO NOT remove the net bag.
- Place the bale in the pond, we recommend positioning it in an area of water flow to speed up the effectiveness of the barley straw bale.
- The barley straw bale will slowly start to breakdown and should take effect within 2 to 6 weeks dependent on the water temperature and time of year.
- To prevent further new algae growth we recommend removing the dead algae as it appears. Treat with a sludge removing product, this prevents oxygen levels dropping which may harm fish and the release of nutrients which stimulate further algae problems.
Store in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight and protected from frost and damp.
No one has left a review yet.
Delivery costs for your order will be calculated during the checkout process based on your delivery address and the contents of your basket. You will only pay one delivery charge for your order. Express delivery is FREE for online orders OVER £39 unless any of the points below become a factor.
- Some large items like aquariums, ponds and pond liners will have an additional charge of £45.00 to help offset the cost of a pallet delivery.
- Orders containing a physical gift card will have an additional charge of £2.45 to cover the cost of materials and delivery (digital gift cards are a free alternative).
- Orders to highlands, islands and Northern Ireland may incur an additional delivery charge displayed at checkout this is based on the postal code provided. DPD provides a list of postal codes which have additional surcharges. Some of these post codes may also take 2 working days to arrive, even on express. Pallet deliveries cannot be sent to these post codes.
We only ship to the UK and cannot ship internationally.
We aim to dispatch items that are currently in stock on the same working day if they are ordered before 2.45 pm (excluding Bank Holidays). Orders after 3pm will be dispatched the following working day, unless it fits any of the below criteria:
- Orders containing live plants will take up to 2 weeks to arrive. We take a week's worth of customer orders and then inform the plant farms of the specific quantities we need to fulfil that week's order to avoid wastage.
- Pallet orders containing large items like big aquariums will take additional time to arrive as they are sent by a third party. These orders will NOT be dispatched until we have been in touch to arrange a delivery date, this is to ensure someone is available at your address to sign for the delivery. Deliveries will generally be delivered ‘curb side’ within the terms of the agreement we have with our couriers so you will need to make arrangements to transfer larger items into your home yourself. Unfortunately, our drivers are not insured to transfer the aquarium into your home.
- Physical gift cards and items from the gift shop (such as clothes, towels etc) are sent with 1st Class Royal Mail. Delivery usually takes 1-2 working days, though in rare cases and orders placed closer to public holidays (Christmas, Father’s day, Mother’s day etc.) may be longer.
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase online from our website, you can return the product and get a full refund or exchange the product for another one, for up to 21 days from the date you purchased it.
We strongly suggest signing up for an account with fishkeeper.co.uk as this will allow for some additional returns options like return to your local store.
If you checkout as a guest you will need to return the product to Maidenhead Aquatics, PO Box 619, Egham, Surrey, TW20 2BS, please package the order (along with a packing slip or a note including your name, address and order number).
Large pallet items like aquariums are deemed delivered successfully with no damage once the the driver has left the property. If a report of damage is submitted after the driver has left we may be unable to assist with replacements. We recommend refusing a damaged delivery, this is the fastest resolution.
Our full terms and conditions can be found here. When you place an order with us online you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.